Sunday, July 10, 2005

Oakland Continues to Own The White Sox

The Sox suffered their first sweep of the season at the hands of the A's over the weekend. The Southsiders threw their top 3 starters out to the mound in Garland, Buehrle, and Garcia, respectively, and were beaten handily.
I attended both Friday night and Sunday afternoons ballgames and unfortunately saw my first Sox losses of the season. The Sox record with me in attendance now stands at 5-2. As far as which loss was less painful, I'll take Rat Pack night on Friday. The Sinatra "stylist" that sang after the game/before the fireworks was pretty damn good. He was so good that his voice could fool my young ears into thinking that I was actually hearing Ol' Blue Eyes himself sing.
Sunday's game was a scorcher, and I was sitting in the sun on the 3rd base line Club Level. I'd bet that I lost about 5 pounds in water weight by the time I left. Freddy Garcia's dominance in day games did not hold true in this contest as he labored through 6 IP and was lucky to have only surrendered 4 runs on the 9 hits he gave up. He threw 25 pitches in the 1st inning and was nearly at 50 after 2. The loss for this one should be attributed to the bullpen and not Freddy though, as Cotts came on to give up 3 runs, 1 of which was walked in, and Hermanson gave up a 9th inning solo HR to double the Sox deficit. After the Sox came back to score 2 in their half of the ninth to force extra innings, Vizciano eventually took the loss in the 11th when he gave up the final run of the game. Sox pitching did not record a 1-2-3 inning until the 8th.
On a brighter and off subject note, on Saturday night I managed to go see Robert Plant at The Auditorium. Great show. I was blown away by the acoustics in that place, they're unbelievable. I saw him play at the Riv a couple of years ago, and the sound this time around is no match for The Riv. (I also saw him open for The Who a couple summers ago, but that was at Tweeter. You can't compare the sound at an outdoor venue like Tweeter to a small, indoor venue like The Auditorium or The Riv.) If you have an opportunity to go see Plant live, I'd highly recommend checking it out. His new stuff is pretty good, the live renditions of old Zeppelin songs are for the most part great, and he can still get his voice up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home